Books and blurbs create more books.

Jamie has started a great conversation books versus kindles, ipads and ebooks, about reading a paper book versus a ebook on a tablet of mobile device of some description. Jess has also joined in the conversation and now I want to add some comments of my own and direct you to a great new book.

The article the Jamie linked to is about the importance of getting students to read and I agree this is the most important part of the argument. It really does not matter what or how the students read what is important is that they are reading and experiencing the joy of journeying through another part of the world through someone else’s eyes.

I love books, this is widely evident in the many resources I use for teaching and for personal enjoyment. I have a new book added to my bookshelf just recently which I recommend for all teachers but especially those who may have a child who has added challenges in life.

William Wattley-Smith by Wendy Law-Davis (2013) is the story was written  by Wendy as part of her Bachelor of Education Early Childhood Course at ECU and is modelled on a child who does not grow as expected and so is a potential target at school. Wendy used blurb.com to create her book.

I have used part of Wendy’s reflection here as she describes her book:

The plot is chronological, following a number of days in William’s life. Some simple flashbacks (Lynch-Brown et al., 2011, p. 37) provide information that help the reader to know the character of William. There are two conflicts presented in the story. The first is a “person-against-self conflict” (Lynch-Brown et al., 2011, p. 35) as William struggles to understand why his heart is so important when it seems that size and appearance are considered to be the essential ingredients for a happy life and the second is a “person-against-person conflict” (Lynch-Brown et al., 2011, p. 36) as William deals with the feelings of hurt caused by a much larger boy calling him names. William has to make a moral choice of whether he will return nasty feelings or offer kindness to Harry. The story ends with the resolution of both conflicts.

Reference: Lynch-Brown, C., Tomlinson, C., & Short, K. (2011). Essentials of children’s literature (7th ed.). Boston: Pearson Education Inc.

One thought on “Books and blurbs create more books.

1. I followed your link to the book and it was great! Love it.
    Guessing there is a family connection there somewhere with yourself, the author and the illustrator.
    What a fantastic book – useful for bullying and friendship situations in the classroom.